Sonntag, 11. März 2007

24. straßenlaufcup 2007 (halfmarathon)

10° celsius. sunny. 10:00 (1:32:59)

today's halfmarathon was the 3rd and final race from the laufcup running series. my legs were still hurt and sore from thursday training, just a bit better than yesterday. went to pick up anina before we drove off to forst rosengarten. this time i didn't drive the wrong way but direct to the starting point.


the compulsory photos
these photos reflect the weather and ground conditions before my run. compare these with the photos from the first and the second race.

the weather looked good as we drove to forst rosengarten. a man with the signboard "parking space is full" was quite adamant that i shouldn't drive further to park the car. all i wanted to do was to make a u-turn to park the car, cos i wouldn't have the chance and space to do it on the narrow road. as we arrived, another of our running colleague, norbert, was already there. he was supposed to be a pacer for anina and help her to achieve sub-1:30. another member from our group had to withdraw from this race cos he was sick. both of them were supposed to help anina achieving her dream time. after a small talk, both of them went on to do some warm up jogging, while i was busy taking pictures (what else).


scenes at the bib collection tent
photos of the finishing areas


towards the starting point
the way to the starting point is hilly and it is about 400 meters (or was it more?) from the finishing line.

the starting point for this halfmarathon was a bit further than usual. it was about 400 meters (or more) away from the bib collection point. those who came late must be wondering where were all the starters. i had to run up and down (real slowly, trying not to waste my energy) the hilly area and regarded it as my warm up exercise. not bad idea in fact as it turned out!

before start, the organiser announced that we had to run 4 times the 5 km stretch and the last kilometer will lead to the finishing line (where else!). that means we had to run two loops + 1,1 km. ouch... that must be painful for the legs. with my sore legs i didn't have much confidence, only the assurance that i could run up the hills, with or without the soreness (mental traininglah).

at 10:00 am, the race began. anina and norbert went off charging while i was at the back pushing my way through the aunties and uncles. it didn't matter whether i started in the middle or at the back of the pack, i always ended up behind the slow-and-chatting-might-as-well-block-other-runners competitors. i would never dream of starting in front cos i might be too excited and ran too fast in the beginning.

as i ran, i saw this guy running/zooming past me. he had only one functional arm. his right arm was strapped to his body. he must be late cos he wasn't at the front of the pack. later i realised that he was fifth in today's event in 1:17:01 hrs.

there was no need to mention about the route profile - hilly with lots of ups and downs. due to pushing through at the start, i was quite slow for the first kilometer. but things settled down from the second kilometer onwards. i still had to concentrate during my run as not to step into the pool of water. great but my ankle was twisted a bit during the second kilometer and i almost fell down! lucky for me it was just an almost!

after the first turnaround, i missed the water point (damn) and had to run another 5 km before i could get my first drink. one thing i realised was that my legs weren't giving me any problems and i overtook quite a number of people during the uphill section. at 9.5 kilometer, i overtook a lady and couldn't shake her off. she stucked behind me (that wasn't the problem) and breathed heavily making loud noises (and now that was the problem). erghh... it got on my nerves and i wouldn't want to turn the volume of my mp3 any louder or i will be deaf. the relatively flat and downhill section made it difficult for me to get away from her without breaking my rhythm. after the turnaround (10 km mark), it was back to the uphill section and i could slowly but surely get rid of her!


at the 14 km mark, i looked at the timing and realised that i was faster than the race fortnight ago. how could this be possible? i try to "maintain" my speed but the final 3 kilometers were a hell for me. i couldn't even close up onto the person 50 meters in front of me. i kept telling myself, it was just another 15 minutes of agonizing run before i could call it a day. right at that moment, another runner went past me. how demoralising! my attitude was just to keep my stride and not to slow down too much. many times i wanted to look back to see if anyone else coming to chase me down but the words from a german biathlete kept playing in my mind : i don't look back or to the left and right, just look forward. so i just look forward for the finishing line. and the view was really nice - i just broke my pb!


scenes at the finishing area
warming down and envying the cups. some were just happy to complete the hilly route.


me, anina and norbert
anina didn't achieve her goal. they ran too fast at the beginning. she managed to run only in 1:31:07 hrs. nonetheless, she was first (in her age categorie), second (in the women categorie) and third (in today's event)!

alsteration (week 10) : 64.804 km
alstering : 21.99 km
non-alstering : 42.814 km

total running (march) : 64.804 km
davon
alstering : 21.99 km
33.93% gehört zu alsteration